Friday, September 25, 2009

Upgraded my home PC from Vista to Windows 7

Finally I upgraded my Vista from home premium to ultimate. It took more than 3 hours to finish. The process was smooth. After I hit upgrade button then hands-off. I started the Windows 7 upgrade (in-system) it warned me that Vista will no longer available and a few programs or drivers will be no longer compatible. In deed, after the upgrading, my Visual Studio 2008 can't work and have to reinstall.

The upgrade process were divided into the following stages.
  • Copying files (fast)
  • Gathering files, settings, and programs (slow)
  • Expanding Windows
  • Installing features and updates
  • Transferring files, settings, and programs (slow)
So according to my colleague, the installation process is much faster if you are doing a fresh installation.

I am pretty happy with the speed of the operating system. The time of waiting has been significantly reduced comparing to Vista. Visual Studio seems much faster to launch now. IE works much faster and the frequency of hanging is significantly reduced. The interface is much easier to use.

No comments:

Thumbs Up to GitHub Copilot and JetBrains Resharper

Having used AI tool GitHub Copilot since 08/16/2023, I’ve realized that learning GitHub Copilot is like learning a new framework or library ...